The lighthouse Brandaris
is located on the island of Terschelling, the Netherlands.
It was built in 1594 by Pieter Albertsz. Clock from Medemblik. At one stage
during the construction the tower collapsed and five people died. The
light source on top of the tower consisted of a huge fire, but the
lighthouse was only used limited periods of times in the 250 years
In 1837 the tower was equipped with a
rotating Fresnel lens system. In 1907 the light source was replaced by an
electric light. Nowadays the lighthouse is the center of marine operations
in the Waddenzee and the commercial freighter routes in this part of the
North Sea. The tower is manned day and night.
|For more information see: Vuurtorens in Nederland